Citation Quick Guides and Style Manuals: What Do You Need to Cite?
Quick guides to the most commonly used citation styles with links to examples of subject specific styles.
What to Cite
You need to cite both language AND ideas:
- Ideas/concepts that you paraphrase or summarize
- Any material that you mention in your text
- Sources of statistics, data, facts
- Studies, arguments, points of view
- When in doubt - cite!
What You Don't Need to Cite!
- Well known facts and common knowledge
- Facts that are easily found in reference sources
- Expressions that are used in everyday speech
- Your own orginal words and ideas