Microform Collections: Newspapers
Requesting Newspapers from Other Libraries
How to Get Articles from Newspapers We Do Not Have
(Requesting through Interlibrary Loan - ILL)
ILL can retrieve copies of newspapers on microfilm for users. Often researchers need a broader overview of an ongoing story or event - -you may have to request a broader date range. When that is the case, specific information (author, specific date, article title) is not required for ILL.
What is required?
- the title of the paper, publication location (if possible)
- range of dates needed
Submit using the ILLiad Book request form.
The information should be presented like this:
Chicago Daily News (May 1 – June 17, 1963).
Any further information the user wishes to supply should be put in the Notes field of the request form.
Newspapers on Microfilm
Newspapers on microfilm
- WHAT: While not a formal collection in itself, the Library does own a variety of current and historical newspapers on microfilm. There are extensive runs of the Bellingham Herald, Seattle Times, and New York Times, among others. When looking for articles in older papers be aware that big city papers often published several editions a day (morning, afternoon, evening, etc.). The edition cited in a particular newspaper index may not be the same edition we committed to microfilm. If an article is not exactly where the citation indicates it should be this may because the editions being referenced do not match. While the article is likely in the paper you will have to browse though the issue's pages looking for it.
- FORMAT & SCOPE: Varies by title. Consult online catalog.
- ORGANIZATION: Newspapers are filed by the call number assigned to each title. They are typically arranged chronologically within the assigned call number. Note: The Times of London and the Sunday Times (of London) are treated as two titles each with its own call number.
- INDEX: Paper indexes for some papers are shelved near the collections in Wilson 2 West. These papers also indexed in ProQuest Newspapers. Among them:
* Bellingham Herald (Minimal indexing. Also indexed online in the Bellingham Public Library catalog.
- * New York Times
* Wall Street Journal
* Seattle Times (minimal indexing)
* Times of London
The following library subscription databases, which include some full text articles online, also index newspapers:
Underground Newspaper Collection
HELP WITH MICROFORMS: Get help locating microform materials and using reader-scanner machines.
DROP BY: Learning Commons Information Desk on Wilson 2
The Hatcherl Research & Writing Studio, Haggard 2nd Floor
Circulation Desk, Haggard 2nd Floor
CALL US: (360) 650-2836
ASK US! Answer Service: Chat, Text, Email & Online Ask a Question