To oversee a strategic planning process that is inclusive, collaborative, data-driven, transparent, forward and outward directed, action oriented resulting in a three-year Western Libraries plan appropriately aligned with the University’s strategic initiatives.
- Determine a timeline for the process
- Facilitate the process, assuring that all library faculty and staff, as well as University students, faculty and staff have a say in the content of the plan. In particular:
- Conduct an environmental scan of those factors, internal and external, that will affect the Libraries in the shorter and longer term. Environmental scan should include:
- Library trends and futures
- Trends in higher education
- An examination of various assessments, reports, and other internal library documents
- A summary of the findings in both a report and a new SCOT analysis as well as a library-wide discussion of key articles concerning future library trends should be included as part of this process
- The determination of not more than seven overarching goals appropriate for a three year planning cycle, in alignment with University strategic plan and other campus and state initiatives
- Should bring together various campus plans (capital planning process, comprehensive fundraising campaign, Provost’s initiatives, 6 year budget planning, etc.
- The determination of various strategies by which each of these goal may be achieved
- The determination of measurable outcomes by which the accomplishment of said goals may be verified
- Transcribe a draft of the plan resulting from this process, to be presented to the library faculty and staff for comment and the Dean of Libraries for final approval (deliverable)
- Coordinate the marketing and communication of the plan
- Develop a strategy for assessing the plan, reporting progress both to the library faculty and staff but also the University community, and coordinating revision of the plan as necessary
Membership: Six members, three faculty and three staff, representing a cross section of the organization. Appointment for one year.