MKTG 380: Principles of Marketing (Staton): Business Research
Search Google Scholar for scholarly articles and books. You can see what item are in Western Libraries by setting Scholar Preference Library Links to Western Washington University.
Citation Guides, Writing & Tech Help
General Business & Economics Sources
These are sources where you can find general business information. For more detailed resources and research tips, see guides relating to those topics or course guides.
Type of Articles & Journals
You will often be asked to search for academic or scholarly articles and journals. What does that mean? How are they different from other articles and journals?
Academic Journals and Articles
- An academic article is created by academics for academics.
- The research and information is considered to be trustworthy and well-researched.
- Academic journals often have the word "journal" in the title, like Journal of Business Communication.
- Academic articles are long. A short academic or scholarly article is five pages long; most are 15 to 20 pages long.
- Academic journals rarely feature color picutres; most will feature charts and graphs, but not pictures.
- Authors often have an affiliation with a university or research institute.
- General-interest magazines include titles like Time, Newsweek, Forbes, and Rolling Stone.
- Articles are often shorter and written for a general audience.
- Articles feature color images and the magaiznes are slick and glossy.
- Don't dismiss an article in a general-interest magazine, but be aware of who it is written for and where it is coming from.
Librarian Subject Team