What is HathiTrust?
Thanks to a generous donation from the Hacherl Family, Western Libraries is pleased to announce that it is now a HathiTrust member library. Founded in 2008, HathiTrust is a not-for-profit collaborative of academic and research libraries preserving 17+ million digitized items. HathiTrust offers reading access to the fullest extent allowable by U.S. copyright law, computational access to the entire corpus for scholarly research, and other emerging services based on the combined collection. HathiTrust members steward the collection — the largest set of digitized books managed by academic and research libraries — under the aims of scholarly, not corporate, interests.
HathiTrust Membership Benefits
Anyone with an internet connection can access most HathiTrust content in the public domain, currently about 3,000,000 titles published prior to 1924. Benefits to the Western Washington University community include the following:
- Full viewing and downloading abilities for public domain (out of copyright) materials and materials for which HathiTrust has received permissions
- WWU students, faculty, and staff will have access to a small number of additional public domain titles not otherwise accessible to the general public.
- Access to the My Collections tool, which makes it possible for users to aggregate works into permanent collections either for private use or to share publicly with others.
- You can keyword search the entire HathiTrust Digital Library, both public domain and in-copyright titles, to facilitate information discovery. Metadata are far richer and more consistently applied than in Google Books, an important distinction and consideration for academic researchers. HathiTrust can therefore be used to facilitate textual analyses and other digital humanities projects. For more information about computational access, see the HathiTrust Research Center tab.
Ways to search HathiTrust:
- Via Western Libraries: Full-text content in HathiTrust can be found through OneSearch
- HathiTrust Catalog Search: You can search HathiTrust's catalog by Title, Author, and Publication Date
- HathiTrust Full-text Search: You can use keywords to search the full-text of all works in HathiTrust
For more information on the different search types, visit HathiTrust's Search Tips page.
Logging in to HathiTrust
To access all the content and services available to WWU users you must first log in by following these steps:
- Go to the HathiTrust homepage.
- Click on the yellow 'Log In' button.
- Select Western Washington University from the drop-down menu and click 'Continue.'
- Enter your Universal Login and click 'Submit.'
Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS)
The Emergency Temporary Access Service has now ended. All of our collections are now available for patron access on site. If you have any questions about this, please contact Jeff Purdue.
Acknowledgement: Grateful acknowledgement is made to Christopher Lemery of the University of Pittsburgh for reuse of elements of his HathiTrust guide.