Folktales at Western Libraries: Home
In the WWU Libraries, Folktales, Fairy Tales, Myths and Fables arranged by Library of Congress Call Numbers
Look for materials under the following:
- BL: Mythology from all cultures
- E 98 and E 99: Native American legends and folktales
- GR 99.6 - GR 390: Folklore from specific countries or regions
- P (Literature): You will find Folktales, Fairy Tales, Myths and Fables is spread throughout the circulating collection under cultures, countries, and languages.
- PZ 8 - PZ 8.3: Children and Teens - Fairy tales and folktales
For Children's Literature, go to the 4th floor of Wilson Library. The The Children's Literature Interdisciplinary Collection (CLIC) has three main sections - Picture Books, Children’s Literature and Poetry. Be sure to check the above call numbers in ALL sections.
Collections & Anthologies
Many anthologies, or collections of folklore, can be found in both CLIC and the main library.
The Library of Congress (LC) call numbers for folklore in the main library are similar to those used in CLIC. For example, folklore collections from specific countries or regions fall under call number range GR99.6 - GR390.
In Western Libraries OneSearch, try searching by terms such as folklore or oral tradition with country or region. Add the term juvenile materials for folklore collections compiled for children.
- folklore Africa
- "oral tradition" "United States"
- Perrault "juvenile materials"
Scholarship and Research
OneSearch for WWU Library holdings as well as DVDs, music, and articles: http://library.wwu.edu/
Academic Search Complete for a general article database: http://libguides.wwu.edu/az.php
MLA (Modern Language Association) database: http://libguides.wwu.edu/az.php?a=m
For Classroom Use and Book Reviews
ERIC (Education): http://libguides.wwu.edu/az.php?a=e
Examples from CLIC
Here are some examples of individual folktales and collections of tales, all from CLIC.
- Find these books on the shelf by call number. Click on the linked title to check OneSearch for availability and more information.
- LC subjects: LC (Library of Congress) subject headings are included to help you search for similar books.
- Call number range: The call number range for folktales in the subject areas are provided so you can browse the shelf for more books.