Welcome to OneSearch!
OneSearch is a single search interface that allows patrons to simultaneously search several article databases, catalogs, and other data sources for books, journal articles, videos, scores, maps, and more!
OneSearch is a shared catalog for the Orbis Cascade Alliance (Summit), a consortium of 37 academic libraries across Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, of which the Western Libraries is a long-standing member. When we are fully live in January 2015, OneSearch will contain 8.8 million titles and over 26 million resources.
The Western Libraries, along with the University of Washington Libraries, is among the first institutions within the consortium to move to this new environment. This is the largest project that the Orbis-Cascade Alliance, as well as our vendor, the Israeli company ExLibris, has ever been involved in. As with any new system there will be problems, but Western, the Consortium, and ExLibris, is committed to solving problems as quickly as possible.
OneSearch offers our users major advantages, such as:
- Unifying book and journal searches,
- Streamlining Summit and Interlibrary Loan functions within the system, and
- Providing access to millions of articles and reports that were previously unavailable.
Because OneSearch is a new(er) catalog and discovery platform, the OneSearch Management Team works continually to incorporate new updates and improved functionality in order to improve our services to WWU patrons. These documents are designed to be provide the latest information about OneSearch, and they include a User Guide; a glossary of common terms; and the latest updates to OneSearch.
OneSearch Instruction Materials
Interested in teaching your students about OneSearch?
The OneSearch Management Team has created instructional tools for faculty and personnel on campus. If they are useful and relevant to your courses, please feel free to use any of the following resources:
- OneSearch Discovery Assignment: This assignment introduces students to the Library of Congress Call System before asking them to perform a specific series of tasks within OneSearch prior to reflecting on how OneSearch is useful to undergraduates at WWU Libraries.
- OneSearch Overview: This overview of OneSearch provides instructors with a refresher on functions and features within OneSearch.
Please note that these instructional materials can be tailored for your course and/or disciplinary context -- simply contact Rebecca Marrall at 360-650-4493 or email@example.com. Furthermore, your departmental liasion librarian is always a fantastic instructional partner.
Because OneSearch is a new(er) system, the OneSearch Management Team is continues to make improvements to the interface. However, there are still some challenges that crop up. Please see this list of known issues in OneSearch (Note: The OMT last updated this list in August 2014):