Skip to Main Content
Western Libraries

Resources for HB 1079 Students : Welcome!

This guide contains a short overview of HB 1079 resources available at WWU Libraries, on the campus, and within the region.

Who are HB 1079 Students?

Introduced by Representative Phyllis Gutierrez-Kenney, and signed into law by Washington Governor Gary Locke, the Washington State Legislature approved HB (House Bill) 1079 in 2003. Because HB 1079 was approved as state law, 1079 students are considered 'residents' for the purposes of higher education. This means 1079 students are permitted to pay resident/in-state tuition rates, in order to attend Washington public colleges and universities.

Who qualifies as a ‘1079 student’?

You qualify as a 1079 student if you have lived in Washington state at least three years, and you meet the following requirements:

  • You graduated from a Washington state high school and you completed your senior year of high school in Washington; OR you have earned the equivalent of a high school diploma, such as a GED.
  • When you apply to a college or university, and wish to register as a qualified 1079 student, you will need to sign an affidavit indicating you meet requirements of HB 1079.

What if I am undocumented but I don’t qualify as a 1079 student? Can I go to college?

All undocumented students are permitted to attend a college or university in the state of Washington. A big difference is undocumented students who qualify as 1079 students may pay in-state tuition rates, which makes college more affordable. Undocumented students who do not qualify as 1079 students pay higher tuition rates.

Regional Resources for HB 1079 Students


Profile Photo
Elizabeth Stephan
Wilson Library 271
360-650-2061 (phone)
Social: YouTube Page