JOUR 404 -- Feature Writing Online: Books of Interest
In-depth article, column and persuasive writing; development of ideas, gathering of materials and writing; special attention to individual interests; exploration of freelance writing markets.
Books of Interest
Excellent books on feature writing:
- William E. Blundell, The Art and Craft of Featuring Writing This book by a Wall Street Journal writer offers clear descriptions and guidance on story forms, developing action, and adding depth.
- Bruce Garrison Professional Feature Writing A detailed book for people seriously persuing free-lancing, this follows up on many issues touched upon in introductory texts.
- Natalie Goldberg Writing Down the Bones Essays in this volume get creativity flowing again; it's full of good suggestions and exercises for anytime burn-out threatens.
- Anne Lamott Bird by Bird Many professional writers recommend this honest book about the rigors, demands, frustrations and break-throughs in becoming a writer.
- Brenda Ueland If You Want to Write A book from the 1930s recently reprinted, this classic is deeply inspiring and full of common sense.
Arts & Humanities Team
Subjects: American Cultural Studies, Art, Communication Studies, Creative Writing, Dance, East Asian Studies, English, History, International Studies, Journalism, Languages, Modern and Classical, Law, Liberal Studies, Literature, American, Literatures in English, World, Philosophy, Religion, Theatre Arts, Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies