MKTG 381: Group Assignment #1: Using Secondary Data: Question 5
Target Market Profile: Mediamark and the American Factfinder
Question 5 and Question 6 are tied together. In these two questions you will use University Reporter to define your target market and then compare your findings to the Census profiles of two cities.
University Reporter is a database of American consumer purchasing habits, viewing habits, demographics, and psychographics. Their information is based on in-person and mail-in surveys of more than 26,000 households.
Develop a target market profile using University Reporter to define who is purchasing your product. Use the following information to develop your target market profile:
- Age groups
- Education Level
- Media habits (you may want to focus on the type of media consumer or the time instead of specific publications of programs)
- Include data from University Reporter in the Appendix
You can focus on more than one age group, income level, and education level. These demographics will be compared to what you find in the Census.
To access University Reporter:
- Go to University Reporter and register. The registration code will be provided in class.
- Create an account using your Western email.
- Login in at University Reporter using your WWU email.
How to Read a Report
Report for adults who drank Red Bull in the last 6 months.
How many adults, age 18-24 drank Red Bull in the last 6 months?
Total '000: Total number of people in the US, by thousands.
- University Reporter estimates there are 30,221,000 adults between the ages of 18-24 in the US (lower 48 states, only).
'000: The projected number of people that fit both of your criteria, by thousands.
- University Reporter estimates that 5,106 adults between the ages of 18-24 drank Red Bull in the last 6 months.
% Detail: This is related to your Detail or the action. (The detail column is not pictured in this image). Number to read when reading down the column.
- Reading Down: Of all the adults that drank Red Bull in the last 6 months, 31.91% are between the ages of 18-24.
% Target: This tells you about the behavior of your Target or demographic. Number to read when reading down the column.
- Reading Down: Of all the adults between the ages 18-24, 16.9% of them drank Red Bull in the last 12 months
Index: The likely hood of all of your criteria intersecting. The index is always 100. If the number is above 100, your group is more likely to do something. If it is below 100, they are less likely to do something.
- Index: The index is 250. Adults between the ages of 18-24 are 2.5 times more likely than the average to have drank Red Bull in the last 6 months. If you look at age 35-44, the index is 110. This means adults between the ages of 35-44 are 10% more likely than the average to have consumed Red bull in the last six months.
Text in Red: When you see text in red this means the sample used was small.
- In this example, see the target Age 65+: This could mean this is a group that is less likely to drink Red Bull--or not. Sometimes it is obvious (like in this case), sometimes it is not. it is an indicator that you may need to do some more research.
How to Use University Reporter